Bedrooms for high-end property owners
Nico van der Meulen Architects have designed a large numbers of luxury homes. When Nico was asked a few questions about
- A main bedroom in a luxury house is never seen on its own, in isolation, no, the main suite comprises much more than this.
- There will either be his and her bathrooms, or at least a spa bath, double shower, steam room and/or sauna. A separate
- A panic room is often requested, with a phone, panic button, CCTV monitor and a fridge with drinks and snacks. Often this
- The lounge will sometimes have space for a desk to work at, a private dining area and sometimes even a studio space if
- They expect a big screen television in both the bedroom and lounge and often in the bathroom and on the balcony as well.
- There is under-floor heating all the way through to the bathroom and air conditioning everywhere. Special lighting effects
- A lobby at the entrance to the suite with a butler’s pantry where meals can be served without the staff coming into the
- Part of the bedroom’s balcony should be roofed to enable them to use it during light rain or when the sun is very hot,
- We would always ensure that the main suite faces north with some smaller east facing windows. Normally the north wall
- With regards to security, the main suite is usually on the first or second floor and roller shutter doors in the ceiling
Ten reasons why you should appoint an architect
An architect is concerned with aesthetic issues, manipulating proportions, alignments, masses, volumes and materials to
2. Allow for your tastes and requirements.
An architect will try and get into the clients’ psyche to read what they want and with that tailor the design to their
3. Overall project understanding.
Architects that are involved from the start of the project are in the position to gain a better understanding of your
4. Cost efficient.
An architect is knowledgeable with good cost efficient products available on the market and knows how to plan within your
6. Contractor advice.
An architect can recommend contractors who might be well suited for your particular building project. He or she might
7. Plan for the future.
An architect can look beyond your immediate requirements to design your home to be able to adapt and extend if necessary
Architects create homes that are pleasing and functional for those who use or live in them. Such a professional tailors a
Houses designed by architects will be sensitive to its surrounding environment and will use all natural elements, topography
10. Project management.
Architects can manage your project from site selecting to completions constantly providing you advice or solutions to the
This post was first posted on: DesignMind on February 15, 2012 at 12:52
5 June 2012
Six houses designed by NICO VAN DER MEULEN ARCHITETS were recently published in an
The book is titled International style Villa and features work from America, Europe, Asia,
The African work published is solely Nico van der Meulen’s design work.
The book has arrived and a few snapshots were taken:
When form really does follow function
“Form follows function” is a principle associated with modern architecture where the belief
Professor F.A Porsche said “If you analyse the function of an object, its form often becomes
In architecture, functionality should always be given higher priority than the form, considering
Nico van der Meulen is most often referred to as one of South Africa’s leading contemporary
Across all fields, engineers are trained to make things work. Whilst their entire focus
Combining the best of both fields, with Nico being a qualified engineer before he explored
Functionalism is our design philosophy and whilst our facades could have any form,